Monday 5 July 2010

Welcome to Weston













For the final outcome of a project based on Weston Supermare I did a little personal investigation into old seaside signage, and how it has become so iconic. My main focus was on old fashioned fish and chip shop signs. I wanted to explore whether it was the style or content of the signs that made them so iconic, i.e. whether people appreciate the design of them, or whether people just appreciate fish and chips.

I basically played around with loads of different combinations of words that I could apply this style to, so really anything with an 'and'. Scampi and Lemon, Batman and Robin, Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrells. I tried around 90 combinations before I was satisfied with my conclusion.

I personally came to the conclusion that the style of the signs was what made them so iconic. No matter what meaningless pairing i applied the style to each one looked great.

The outcome was presented as a 100 page perfect bound book, that I bound myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment